10 Assisted vs. Advanced Yoga Modifications
- All you need for these yoga modifications is two yoga blocks and a strap.
- Hold each pose for either 8 breaths or 8 breaths per side.
Bound Forward Fold
This pose is a shoulder, hamstring, and low back opener.
- Begin standing with feet hip-width apart and hold strap in one hand. Take both hands behind your back, palms facing away from body, and grab the strap with your other hand so you are holding it in both hands. Bring the hands as close together as feels comfortable.
- Inhale to bring a small bend into knees and take an exhale to begin to fold upper body over your thighs. Keeping the strap in both hands, allow the hands to fall over the head. Make sure knees are bent so that belly is resting on thighs. Allow weight to shift towards the balls of feet.
- Use each inhale to find a bit of length in spine by lifting chest slightly. With each exhale, pull belly in towards your spine and fold a little deeper. Hold for 8 breaths, then slowly stand up and release the strap.
- Begin standing up with feet hip-width distance. Interlace hands behind back and try to pull heels of palms together to touch. If they don’t touch, it is OK.
- Continue just like you did with the strap. Exhaling to fold forward while keeping fingers interlaced. Use breath to find depth in the pose. Hold for 8 breaths, then slowly stand up and release your hands.
Bound Locust Pose
This pose opens up the shoulders and strengthens the back muscles.
- Start on belly with legs out long, toes untucked. Place forehead on the ground. Hold strap in one hand. Take both hands behind your back, grabbing strap with the other hand. Walk both hands as close together as you can on the strap. Zip your legs up and squeeze your thighs together.
- Exhale all of the breath out of your lungs. Inhale and begin to lift chest, legs, and feet off of the ground. Keep your gaze down so that neck is long. Lift hands and strap away from body. Continue squeezing thighs and try to reach back through toes.
- With each inhale, use strength of your back to lift chest a little higher. With each exhale, try to squeeze thighs together a bit more. Hold for 8 breaths.
- Exhale to lower chest and legs back down. Take one cheek to the floor, release the strap off to the side, and let body relax.
- Start on your belly with legs out long, toes untucked. Place forehead on the ground. Interlace hands behind low back and try to pull heels of your palms together. If they don’t touch, it is OK.
- Continue just like you did with the strap. Keep hands interlaced as you inhale to lift up. Keep the hands lifting up and back the whole time. Hold for 8 breaths.
- Exhale to lower down and let your hands go down alongside your body. Take one cheek to the floor and let your body relax.